With Heidi Elmaarouf, Reiki Practitioner and Life Coach at Bodytree
Reiki during pregnancy and postpartum is timely and impactful…pregnancy and motherhood are times of rapid change and Reiki is a gentle way to help make all of the changes much more manageable, while keeping you connected to your baby. Reiki is a centuries-old healing art from Japan that uses light touch on or just above the body, to help facilitate deep relaxation, promote balance, healing and an optimal state of well-being.
Reiki supports women through the on-going physical, emotional and spiritual changes of pregnancy; this process helps to prepare them for childbirth. Many moms-to-be report feeling more centered, rested and grounded after a treatment. This gentle, healing energy can therefore be of great benefit to both the mother and her developing baby. Reiki can safely be used at any stage of pregnancy and in conjunction with conventional medicine and complementary therapies including prenatal massage, prenatal yoga and chiropractic care.Reiki during early pregnancy relieves many common discomforts such as exhaustion and nausea. Safe and gentle, Reiki will support the mother’s body as she grows and changes, and can give relief to lower back pain, tension in the neck and shoulders and insomnia. The common ‘fog’ of pregnancy is often lifted after a Reiki treatment. Relieved of some of the physical and emotional discomforts of pregnancy, the expectant mother will sleep more soundly and will feel more relaxed and connected with her baby.The Hartford Hospital in Hartford, Connecticut conducted tests in a clinical setting during pregnancy involving the use of Reiki.These showed:
• Reduced stress and anxiety during pregnancy by 94%
• Reduced pain by 78%
• Nausea and morning sickness reduced by 80%
• Quality of sleep was improved by 86%
For new mothers, a Reiki treatment offers a safe and supportive space for them to re-orientate to themselves and their bodies after the birth of their baby. The comforting, gentle energy of Reiki helps stimulate and accelerate the body’s own natural healing processes, bringing it back into balance and alignment. As the nature of Reiki is deeply relaxing and calming, it can help to reduce stress and promote sleep.Reiki can also be used to ease postpartum depression and anxiety. It also promotes physical and emotional healing from a lengthy or traumatic birth. Reiki is also helpful for mothers that have been working through breastfeeding difficulties. It helps ease the stress in both mother and child which promotes many beneficial effects like better milk production and confidence in your ability to nurture your baby and yourself. Reiki can be so relaxing that new moms often drift off to sleep during the session. Baby is welcome to come along for the session too!
The Benefits of Reiki for Moms with Postpartum Depression
Nearly every new mom feels slightly depressed or overwhelmed at some point during the first few days that follow delivery. However, some women experience a more severe form of depression, known as “postpartum depression.” Postpartum depression is a significant problem worldwide, affecting 10 to 15 percent of women around the globe. Women dealing with this condition may try to alleviate their symptoms by taking medication, getting plenty of rest and attending counseling sessions. However, research has also shown that Reiki may be beneficial to women with postpartum depression.
How Reiki Can Help
Reiki offers several benefits for moms suffering from postpartum depression. Some of the potential benefits of this therapy include:
• Lower perceptions of stress: People who participate in Reiki sessions often report feeling less stress. Because stress is one of the most significant factors contributing to postpartum depression in new moms, relieving stress may help to improve the symptoms of depression.
• Connection with another person: Mothers suffering from postpartum depression often feel alone, withdrawn and disconnected from the people around them. The one-on-one attention received during a Reiki session may help the mother to feel more grounded and connected to the world around her.
• More autonomy: New mothers sometimes feel as though they have lost control of their lives. Scheduling and participating in Reiki sessions lets the mother feel more proactive and autonomous, which may alleviate some of the symptoms of her condition.
• A chance to relax: Reiki sessions give new mothers a chance to relax and recharge. This can be especially beneficial to mothers who have depression accompanied by feelings of anxiety.
• A better sense of balance: Many clients who participate in regular Reiki sessions report feeling more mentally and physically balanced. This change may help mothers with postpartum depression to overcome their negative mental state.
• Effects of Reiki on Depression, Anxiety and Pain: In a study conducted by researchers at the University of Southern Maine, researchers evaluated the effect of Reiki treatments on measures of pain, depression and anxiety. Individuals participating in the study were divided into two groups: a control group and an experimental group that received Reiki treatments. Measures of depression, anxiety and pain improved significantly among members of the experimental treatment group.
• Efficacy of Reiki at Benefiting Mood and Well Being: In this study conducted by the University of London, patients underwent two to eight weeks of 30-minute Reiki sessions. At the end of the study, researchers found that participants who were experiencing high levels of anxiety and depression experienced an overall improvement in mood.
In addition to having more than 30 years of experience as a registered nurse in the USA, the UAE and parts of Africa, Heidi Elmaarouf has been a Reiki Practitioner since 2010. She offers reiki and life coaching at Bodytree, and right now she is offering 15% off for pre natal clients. Email email@example.com or call 02 443 4448 to make a booking
Photo Credit: Heather Bonker Photography