Recipe: Bite Sized Blondies
With Lynne Whelehan Sheehan, Food and Lifestyle Blogger
Recently, I was researching almond flour recipes and came across a recipe for Blondies. A Blondie is essentially a Blonde Brownie. The recipe I had found online called for ½ cup of coconut oil and 1 cup of sugar. According to myfitnesspal.com a ½ cup coconut = 960 calories and 1 cup of sugar = 720 calories. I challenged myself to re-create the recipe omitting the above and decreasing the overall calorie content whilst keeping the delicious gooey Blondie consistency and texture. Baking with almond flour creates a dense, moreish Blondie, as you can see from the image. Allow them to cool before cutting into bite size pieces, this allows the mixture to set and easier to cut.
The Blondie recipe I re-created used fruit puree as an alternative to coconut oil and natvia stevia as an alternative to sugar. This reduced calories per serving from 205 to 128, however, this is not a reason to over indulge. Moderation is key however; it can be hard to exercise this mindset when presented with these tasty creations. Below is the nutritional breakdown from myfitnesspal.com;
Bite Size Blondies
(Bite size – 20 pieces)
2 cups Almond Flour
6 tsp. Natvia Stevia
1 tsp. Baking Powder
½ tsp. Salt
100g Chocolate Chips
100g White Chocolate Chips
2 Eggs (2 egg whites, one egg yolk)
Made from Scratch:
- Preheat the oven 170, fan oven and grease an 8” square baking tray or line with grease proof paper.
- In a large mixing bowl add almond flour, natvia stevia, baking powder, salt and chocolate chips and mix well.
- In a separate bowl add eggs and fruit puree, combine well and fold into the dry mixture. Mix until combined well.
- Pour the blondie mixture into the baking tray and level it off with a wooden spoon or fork.
- Pop in the oven, bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before cutting or it will crumble.
*All ingredients are available in Spinneys or your local supermarket.
Be sure to keep me posted if you try and test these recipes by posting on Twitter: @WhelehanLynne or Instagram @makeandbakefromscratch #makeandbakefromscratch and Facebook: Make & Bake From Scratch