Curried Sweet Potato Red Lentil Soup
with Mira, co-owner of Nectar, Bodytree’s in house juice bar
This modern take on a lentil soup is a perfect to keep you warm on our short winter. A great gut healthy addition to this soup would be bone broth, see how to include this amazing ingredient to boost the health benefits of this simple soup.
- 1 to 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 onion, rough chop
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger peeled and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups bone broth or vegetable stock (water also works if you don’t have either)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon gram marsala
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Cook onions, garlic, ginger in coconut oil until soft in a pot over medium heat. Add all spices and toast lentil with onion mix.
2. Add carrots, sweet potatoes and broth.
3. Simmer gently for 15 min until lentils and sweet potato are cooked. Potatoes should be easy to mash.
4. Transfer soup into blender, carefully blend on low and increase speed slowly (with lid slightly open to release steam). Cation! Hot liquids expand in blenders, blend carefully or alternatively, allow soup to cool and blend smooth.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning. Finally…Enjoy!
Nectar is a healthy, made-to-order juice bar nestled within the zen walls of Bodytree Studio. Offering both comfortable café seating as well as quick “to-go” options, Nectar is unique in that they do not use any additives, preservatives or artificial sweeteners in their juices, smoothies and healthy snacks. Menus and more at www.lifeisnectar.com
Image via Taste .com